Building your 10 C’s of survival kit?
Dave Canterbury of the Pathfinder School, LLC developed the “The 10 c’s of survival” as a handy list of the most essential tools for staying alive in a wilderness emergency.
Below I will list the 10 C’s of survival and link to the tools I personally use in my 10 C’s of survival kit to hopefully help you build yours.
As you can see I primarily use black items but most survival items are available in a multitude of colours. The ten C’s of survival is a great starting point for any survival kit or bug out bag as you have pretty much covered all bases.
Ten C’s Of Survival
- Combustion (A way to make fire)
- Cover (Shelter)
- Candle (A source of Light)
- Cotton (Bandana usually)
- Cargo Tape
- Canvas Needle
My tools of choice for the 10 C’s of survival.
1. Cutting Tool – Mora Pathfinder
- Fixed blade knife with 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) thick carbon steel blade with anti-corrosive black coating
- Blade length: 6.75″ (171 mm); Blade thickness: 0.125″ (3.2 mm); Total length: 11.6″ (295mm); Weight: 8.8 oz. (249g)
- Limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty; Made in Sweden
2. Combustion Device – UST Strike Force
- Strike force fire starter, Ignites wide range of tinder
- Generates 3 times the heat of ordinary matches
- Storage for one piece of WetFire fire starting tinder in handle
- High performance flint based bar, striker built into detachable cap attached with a lanyard will last over 4,000 strikes
- Will ignite a wide range of tinders, sparks can be generated in rain or other adverse weather conditions
3. Cover – Thermal Survival Blanket
- Thermal All Weather Blanket comes ready to use with 4 steel pegs, 10 cable ties, 4 lengths of paracord and a ziplock waterproof pouch
- Windproof and waterproof, with an aluminium thermal reflective layer, use it over or under you for protection come rain or shine, cold or hot
- Strong with six reinforced grommets. Large, double person size – 2.1m by 1.5m, yet lightweight and can be folded and stored easily in a compact ziplock pouch
- Instant outdoor shelter, picnic blanket, groundsheet, sun shade, planned or unplanned – just put it in the bottom of your bag or car boot – you will use it
- Whatever you want it to be, whenever you need it!
4. Container – Nalgene Stainless Steel
- Beautifully made stainless steel drink container.
- Made from single-walled stainless steel in high quality.
- Perfectly tight with the screw cap (polyamide).
- The bottles have a wide neck diameter and are easy to clean.
- All common filter attachments and additional lids fit (not the sipper)
5. Cordage – Paracord
- PREMIUM MATERIAL: Made of Polypropylene & Polyester, this paracord with 9 strand cores is wear resistant and lint-free.
- WONDEFU TEXURE: Delicate, compact and careful knit shows the wonderful texture.
- WIDE FUNCTIONS: This paracord can be used as tent rope, clotheslines, strapping equipment, nunchakus connection rope, stick handle rope, life-saving rope, climbing rope, etc.
- LOAD CAPACITY: The bearing strength can be up to240kg/529LB ( BUT Not for extreme sports,like climbing ) and length is up to 100m
- Keep your paracord neat with a Spool Tool
6. Candle – Fenix PD35
- Uses Cree XP-L (V5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Batteries: Two CR123A batteries or one 18650 Li-ion battery (batteries not included)
- 137mm (5.4 in.) Length x 25.4mm (1.0 in.) Diameter
- 3 oz. (87g) weight excluding batteries
- Tactical tail switch, momentary-on function
7. Cotton – Bandanna
- Plain Black Cotton Bandanna
8. Compass – Silva Expedition 15T
- Frame lock handle design
- Lightweight open stainless steel handles
- Sturdy pocket clip
9. Cargo Tape – Gorilla Tape
- Portable Duct Tape
- Grips rough, uneven and smooth surfaces
- Ideal for tarp repairs
10. Canvas Needle
- Used For Stitching Thick Canvas Or Leather
- Taper-shank Size: 6.5cm x 2.2cm – 2.6″ x 0.9″
- Needle Hole Shape Length: 7cm – 2.8″
- Needle Hook Shape Length: 6.6cm – 2.6″
- Suitable For Sewing Shoes,Sewing Soles,Sewing Bag,More Convenient For Household